Read about our Skip Tracing & Missing Persons service here: Skip Tracing
Skip Tracing And What You Need To Know
Skip tracing is an industry term used to describe the process of locating an individual that can’t be found at their place of residence or usual hangouts. “Skip” refers to the person being searched for (derived from the term “to skip town”) and “tracing” meaning the act of locating the skip. The act of skip tracing is most often used by process servers, repossession agents, private investigators, debt collectors, and even journalists. Skip tracing, however, may be performed by a professional — called a skip tracer — who is an expert in this process.
A skip trace is an investigative technique that traces (or finds) an individual, generally one who has skipped out on a legal or financial obligation, but it is not limited to those matters. These investigations are commonly used to track down defendants who have missed court appearances, locate individuals who need to be served with legal documents, or track down a debtor.
Here are a few reasons you might need a people locate or skip trace:
- You need to locate a debtor who has defaulted on payments.
- You need to find a current address for a family member who needs to be served with family court documents (i.e. child support, divorce).
- A party to a court case has missed a hearing.
- You need to locate an individual to inform them about assets or an inheritance.
- You need to conduct a witness location enquiry.
- In its simplest terms, a skip trace or people locate is an investigation with the primary objective of locating a person.
What is Involved?
After gathering pertinent information and clear goals and objectives from the client, an investigator will employ any techniques required to get an accurate location for the individual. This can involve:
- Records Research. Accessing databases, and visiting potential locations of interest.
- Surveillance. Surveillance is often employed to understand the individual’s habits, gather accurate information on where they are living and working, what locations they frequent, and what activities they are involved in.
- Background Investigation. Dependent upon the case itself, an investigator may conduct a background investigation to better understand the individual they are looking for. This can include interviews with family members, friends, and former colleagues, and researching databases etc.
Private Eye Skip Tracing Services
Private Eye does not only specialize in giving you professional private eyes and providing you with the latest equipment if you wish to conduct your own investigation. We also take pride in our skip tracing services in the following areas:
- Skip Tracing & Missing Persons including – Witness and Debtor Location
When it is not possible to locate a witness or debtor, the whole proceedings at hand can come to a standstill and in Missing Persons matters, an individual’s or family’s life could be changed forever by the location of a loved one. We are absolutely confident that our investigative background and 40 + years of experience means we are the right choice over our competitors.
All of our Agents involved in skip tracing and location inquiries are also licensed Private Inquiry Agents with the ability to conduct a range of investigations above and beyond that of a Mercantile Agent. They are also in a position to professionally carry out surveillance where required, which is often a necessary tool in skip tracing.
The nature of our enquiries may include, but are not limited to:-
- Approaches to current occupants of a given address;
- Approaches to current owners of a given address;
- Approaches to neighbours;
- Approaches to local shops and hotels, etc. (particularly if a smaller, close-knit community);
- Research of employment history;
- Discreet enquiries with any available references;
- Database searches.
- Asset Searching & Background Checks
Location Of Assets
Before litigation is commenced, it is often prudent to establish the assets of a Debtor to determine whether proceedings would be worthwhile.Our access to databases, including the ASIC and LTO, enables us to thoroughly examine a person’s financial position and to ‘cross-match’ concealed assets, either under the guise of a corporate entity or through the involvement of relatives. In addition, we regularly use surveillance to clarify a debtor’s employment status, which may enable a garnishee of wages.
Before engaging a new business partner, employing a person to that vital role or making an investment that may not necessarily be conventional, it is extremely important to arrange a thorough background check to determine the bona fides of all relevant parties.
Our company has all the tools and resources to uncover information about those persons or organisations you intend to deal with. The old saying “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is certainly relevant in these matters and we have the expertise to give you comprehensive background information to protect your future.
- Romantic Background Checks
This type of modern day investigation is most effective in confirming a person’s true identity and whether they are being honest with you about their life story, employment status and financial position.
According to recent statistics around one third of all marriages today involve couples that met online so although it is a viable way of meeting a partner, it can also be fraught with deception and even danger. At Private Eye, we can provide you also with services if you need to catch a catfish.
As it relates to collections and accounts receivable management, skip-tracing is the process of locating debtors whose contact information is no longer accurate. It can run the gamut from checking phone records all the way to searching a massive amount of publicly and privately available information. Often, companies have to purchase access to this information, or hire a collection agency that already has access as part of their services.
As sure as the sun comes up, skip-tracing will continue to be an important part of the debt collection process. While the manner and method may change over time, there will always be a need to find a debtor’s contact information. One interesting change in recent years is that since more consumers are ditching landlines in favor of mobile phones, a cell number is becoming an increasingly reliable path to find someone and therefore open a line of communication to improve your accounts receivable management.
In Australia, skip tracing is typically done by private investigators, and debt collectors; however repossession agents, process servers, solicitors, law enforcement, private citizens and even journalists get involved in the process or hire skip tracers for their needs.
Find out more about our services and contact us today.